Obituary and Gratitude
Kaylyn’s Memorial Service
November 17, 2012
Kaylyn passed away at age 70 on November 8th. She was a homemaker and former Reference Librarian at Wichita State University. She was born in Tulsa, OK and preceded in death by her parents Robert Briggs and Ara Cron. Kaylyn’s survivors are her husband Stanley; son Joshua David (wife Tracy) Turner of Shawnee Mission, Kansas and grandchildren Emily, Molly and Jack Turner. Kaylyn attended school grades 1-12 in Wichita, KS and lived close to WSU. She graduated from Wichita East High School in 1959 and started college at an East coast girls Ivy League school called Barnard College, then transferred to the University of California at Berkley. She completed her BA in Psychology at University of Texas Austin and then continued there to complete her Masters in Library Science. She then worked for the State of Texas Library before eventually making her way back to live in Wichita in 1981 where she worked at the WSU Library. She turned from her old life to put her faith in Christ’s death and resurrection for her salvation during this time and started attending church. Kaylyn and Stan met at church in 1982 and they married in 1983. Kaylyn became a full time homemaker and educated Joshua all the way through High School. In the spring of 2011, Kaylyn discovered a cancerous tumor and endured surgeries and treatments for the next year cheerfully while trusting fully in the goodness of God for his will to be done in her life on this earth. After cancer reoccurrence six months ago at a stage 4 condition, Stan and Kaylyn engaged the Hospice Home services to help manage the pain at home. Four months ago, a young lady from church, decided she would like to help us by staying with Kaylyn during the week and overseeing home care, shopping and homemaking. Then 10 weeks ago, Stan came home full time to support her bed-bound condition until she peacefully went home to be with the Lord Jesus Christ on the morning of November 8th with Stan at her side. Her steadfast faith in Christ during this time has been a testimony of God’s work in her life and an unforgettable inspiration to us all. She is now completely healed and in the presence of her Savior.
Faith Verses that were in the paper’s obituary (these do NOT have to be read)
- Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins (1Jn4:10).
- Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God (1Jn5:1).
- Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new (2Cor5:17).
- And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand (Jn10:28)
- We are confident, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord (2Cor5:8).
Expression of Gratitude
- Good morning and Thank you everyone so very very much for coming today to share in the memory of Kaylyn’s life together with us.
- First off, I want all of you to know how overwhelmed and humbled I have been by all of your incredible outpouring of love and prayer to support Kaylyn and myself during this time. It has been unbelievable time of care and support. I can honestly say that you all have dramatically changed my heart forever.
- Many of you have never met Kaylyn and all your support has been out of a friendship and love for me in her honor. I just want you to know that by knowing me, you knew a lot about her heart, because so much of who I am today is from the love and life she has selflessly poured into me all these years.
- I would like for us all to understand how much support there has been by people that do and don’t know Kaylyn. I’m going to ask you to briefly stand, for up to three separate times if your involvement meets each set of criteria.
- If you have ever met Kaylyn face to face and talked with her, would you please stand for a few moments? Thank you, you may be seated.
- If you participated in this final journey by providing any of support in the form of visits, calls, emails, cards or purchased items such as flowers, food and bed would you please stand up for a few moments. This does not include praying for Kaylyn. Thank you, you may be seated.
- Now, If you provided support in the form of prayer, would you please stand up for a few moments. Thank you, you may be seated.
- Now, look around – just look at all the unbelievable support we had that allowed Kaylyn and I to put all our focus on the battle front of keeping the faith and managing the journey.
- I can’t even tell you the number of people that with all sincerity told me that they will do anything for us night or day to help out. Just amazing. Thank you so very much.
- Honestly, at the start of Kaylyn’s final journey, I was wondering what would be left here to keep me in Wichita… now at the end, I’m wondering how could I ever level such a company of friends that have laid down their lives for us during our time of need.
- Dora – this reminds me of the Spirit AeroSystems celebration for separation of our network from Boeing after how many years of hard team work in IT with a mandatory goal? Here our team’s mandatory goal was to keep Stan healthy and well on earth and help Kaylyn comfortably into the promotion of eternal life with a solid trust and faith in God’s goodness.
- This is a celebration of Kaylyn’s promotion to eternity – she fought the fight of faith and a graduated with the passing grades of “Repentance from Self”, “Faith in Christ”, “Born of God”, “Unfeigned Love” and “Endured to the End” and please remember so many of you have been providing us the resources for this final fight.